Rhode Island Youth Theatre (RIYT), formerly known as Fantasy Works, is an award-winning, non-profit, youth theatre company now in its 32nd year of operation. The company provides opportunities for children and teens to CREATE, PERFORM, and EXPERIENCE exceptional theatre.
- Theatre school workshops and musicals that take place during school vacation breaks.
- A summer season of programs that culminate in fully-staged musicals.
- An award-winning Young PlayRIYTs program, in which teens develop original works.
- An apprenticeship program for high school and college students—in all facets of theatre production, design, and management. Apprentices are mentored by RIYT professional staff.
- After-school theatre programs at school sites.
- A theatre resources program that provides low-cost rentals of RIYT costumes, sets, and technical equipment to after-school theatre programs throughout RI.
- A community outreach program that provides scholarships to children with financial need and blocks of free show tickets, which local agencies distribute to families who are at risk.
Our goal is to create a permanent youth theatre organization – a model of excellence in the development of new works, innovative programs, and educational initiatives. We plan to accomplish this through collaborations with centers of learning and distinguished artists while continuing to provide jobs to high school and college students who are planning careers in the arts.
We are an ensemble company. Respect, responsibility, and collaboration are the values that guide us.
Students are empowered as they enter the world of theatre: a place where their diverse interests, talents, and skills are valued; a place where each student becomes an integral part of an ensemble through the process of creating and presenting performance pieces.